By the end of this course, learners should have a foundation to understand the history and evolution of HIV, a basic introduction to ARVs (regimens, side-effects, and drug interactions), an understanding of PMTCT and associated care strategies, and diagnosis and treatment information for TB patients.
Lista de contenidos
Module 1 – HIV overview:
- HIV history and epidemiology
- HIV natural evolution
Module 2 – ART module
- Introduction to ART
- Eligibility and choosing 1 st line regimen
- ART side-effects and their management
- Monitoring the patient before and after starting ART
- Managing the patient with a high viral load
- HIV-related drug interactions
Module 3 - PMTCT:
- Prevention of mother to child transmission
- HIV counselling and testing in PMTCT
- Providing ARVs to pregnant and breastfeeding mothers
- Care of the exposed baby
Module 4 -TB:
- TB the most common cause of morbidity and mortality in people living with HIV (PLHIV)
- Diagnosing TB in PLHIV
- Improving TB diagnosis in your setting
- Reducing the burden of TB in PLHIV
- TB treatment
- Treatment challenges and monitoring treatment
- Diagnosis of DR TB
- MDR TB treatment challenges and monitoring
- Preventing TB infection and development of active T
- TB in children
The course consists of four different interactive learning modules, detailed above.
As the course offers no hands-on exposure to actual patients it must be understood that, on completion, the participant is unlikely to be equipped immediately to consult independently in an HIV/TB clinic. The ideal learning process to accompany this course is to have facilitated discussions with clinicians with HIV/TB consulting experience while doing the e-learning course and then to have some form of supervision for the first month or so of actual consulting in a clinic.
We continue to develop this e-learning course as we try and optimise the meeting of the needs of our target group. The information that you give us in the feedback documents at the end of each module will be carefully studied and will contribute to achieving this.
At the end of each module, the participant completes a quiz. The successful completion of which results in the issuing of a certificate.
If you want to enrol into this course, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org stating your interest in doing the course. You will receive an automated reply with full enrolment instructions. If you have any difficulties with this enrollment process please contact email@example.com for help.
A quién va dirigido este curso
This course has been primarily designed for the clinician (nurse, medical assistant, clinical officer, doctor):
- With little to no experience in HIV and / or TB.
- Intending to manage patients with HIV and / or TB.
- In the type or resource-limited settings in which MSF usually operates.